Log in

Register Subscribe
Environmental news and technical  innovation in the nonwovens sector

HyDri Cotton is finding increased levels of usage in feminine and baby care products without sacrificing performance. 

The world of feminine hygiene and baby care products has not always been a happy one. Consumer research (from Cotton Incorporated and other industry stakeholders) has shown that women, many of whom are also mothers, have experienced irritation, painful skin rashes, and even infections from the industry’s use of extruded films and artificial fibres used in topsheet applications for products like panty liners, feminine pads, and diapers.

Within baby care, feminine care, and adult incontinence applications, the topsheet is what does all of the “dirty work”—all without absorbing too much liquid itself so it remains dry for skin contact. Since a topsheet allows for the right mix of absorption and dryness, it helps eliminate skin irritation.

Consumers clearly desired a better choice, demanding an alternative that would be more comfortable, breathable, safe, and natural, without sacrificing performance.

Many topsheets are comprised of extruded films or polymer-based materials. However, as consumer demand grows for more natural fibres - instead of synthetic fibres - brands and private label manufacturers have adjusted.

In 2014, Barnhardt introduced HyDri to the market. HyDri is a hydrophobic (non-absorbent) purified cotton product designed specifically as a replacement for the synthetic fibres or extruded films traditionally used in nonwovens substrates for topsheet applications.

By utilizing HyDri Cotton, manufacturers and consumers now have a 100% natural, pure, and hypoallergenic topsheet that allows moisture to pass through the topsheet while remaining dry to the touch. This material can be produced using the hydroentangling process.

In the field, cotton is naturally hydrophobic. Consumers typically think of cotton as being absorbent, but that’s only possible after raw cotton has been purified. During purification, the natural oils and waxes are removed from the individual fibres, eliminating the cotton’s natural hydrophobicity and enabling the fibre to be absorbent.

Barnhardt’s proprietary process purifies the cotton while retaining the oils and waxes, providing nonwoven manufacturers and ultimately consumers with a product that features multiple design and performance attributes while delivering softness and comfort, Made from natural, high-quality staple cotton, HyDri also offers superior whiteness and. being hypo-allergenic for sensitive skin, is safe, with high levels of purity and breathability. 


HyDri also holds USDA Certified Biobased Product Label which verifies that the product’s amount of renewable biobased ingredients meets or exceeds levels set by USDA. Biobased products are finished or intermediate materials composed in whole or in significant part of agricultural, forestry, or marine ingredients.

HyDri was certified to be 94% biobased, the remaining 6% being fossil carbon.

All biobased amount claims are verified by independent labs and monitored by the USDA. Consumers can feel secure in the accuracy of the biobased amount and be empowered in making better informed purchasing decisions.


Several years ago, a visionary hygiene manufacturer in Italy capitalized on the development of HyDri, and launched the first feminine pad with this product. Corman recognized the opportunity to integrate 100 per cent, hydrophobic cotton substrates into their feminine care topsheets.

Now, both conventional HyDri (made from conventional cotton grown in the US) and Organic HyDri (made from organic cotton grown in the US) are finding their way into both feminine hygiene and baby care products around the world. Barnhardt has continued to incrementally improve this great product over time while responding to unique market needs around the globe.

“Consumers clearly desired a better choice, demanding an alternative that would be more comfortable, breathable, safe, and natural, without sacrificing performance,” says Barnhardt. SNW


Weekly e-news bulletin

Latest news direct to your inbox

Interested in advertising?

Simply give us a call

Sales: +44 1977 708488

Or if you prefer email, click on the button below and we'll get back to you asap


Why Subscribe?

Sustainable Nonwovens is the print magazine and daily news website for easy insight and analysis from throughout the entire nonwovens supply chain..

Focused on technical innovation and industry best practice, subscribers to SNW enjoy:

You will learn about: